Provigil is used to promote wakefulness by reducing the excess sleepiness, which is caused due to narcolepsy, sleep disorders and sleep apnea (stop breathing during sleep due to insufficient oxygen). Generic Modafinil is a main therapeutic agent found in Provigil, which categorized under the category of CNS stimulant.
Generic Modafinil works by changing the natural chemicals that control sleep or wake cycle.
When you should not take Provigil?
Provigil is not to be taken in case of-
- Hypersensitivity towards generic Modafinil
- Kidney or liver disorder
- Heart disease
- Mental illness
- If you have a history of alcoholism
What are the drugs may interact with Provigil?
- Sleeping pills like Alprazolam, Clonazepam and Lorazepam
- Over the counter medicines, Vitamins and herbal products
- Carbamazepine, Phenytoin, and Phenobarbital
- Midazolam, Triazolam, and Quetiapine
- Clomipramine, Desipramine, and Diazepam
What is the prescribed dose of Provigil?
The recommended dose of Provigil is 200mg on a daily basis in the morning or before one hour of work shift. Provigil tablet should be administered orally with glassful of water. Provigil medication should be taken for 12 weeks. It should be properly taken with food.
What are the adverse effects of Provigil?
More common undesirable effects of Modafinil are severe headache, dizziness, stomach upset, sleep problem, and feeling of nervousness.
Severe adverse effects of Modafinil are fever, shallow breathing, dark color of urine, jaundice, skin rashes, hives, and swelling in your face, eyes, and tongue.
What should I adopt while using Provigil?
- Avoid driving after using Provigil or any work that needs extra attention as it may cause drowsiness effects.
- Avoid drinking alcohol with Modafinil.
- Children under the age of 17 years should not take Modafinil.
- Breastfeeding and pregnant women should avoid the use of Modafinil.
- Provigil make birth control pill less effective, so avoid using Modafinil while you are taking any kind of hormonal birth control medication.
- Don’t consume an excess amount of Modafinil as it may harmful and cause drug addiction.