Bimatoprost is an ophthalmic solution and only meant for the eyes. It is used to deal with glaucoma (a state in which increased pressure in the eye which can damage the vision of eyes) and ocular hypertension (a condition in which the pressure of eyes gets increased due to the excess secretion of eye fluid). It is also prescribed for the treatment of hypotrichosis condition.
What is active mechanism of Bimatoprost?
Bimatoprost works by increasing the level of prostaglandins and helps to improve the growth of eyelashes. Apart from that, it also increases the flow of intraocular eye fluid towards outside, this helps to decrease the ocular hypertension.
Why this drug is prescribed?
Brand Bimatoprost is prescribed for the treatment of glaucoma and in inadequate eyelashes condition.
In which conditions, Bimatoprost should be avoided.
- If you are suffering from other eye problems like lens extraction and aphakia, then avoid the use of this drug.
- If you have a history of eye surgery, eye injury in the past 3 months then avoid the use of this drug.
What is proper environmental condition for Bimatoprost?
Store this drug at the place where heat direct sunlight cannot reach properly.
How you should use Bimatoprost?
Before using this drug, wash your hands properly and then use it. After that, then tilt your head slightly backwards and stretch the lower skin of the eyes to form a pouch. Press the bottle and squeeze drop of this medicine into the pouch formed and close your eyes for a minute. Remove the extra eye drop with the help of tissue paper.
What are possible side effects you may feel after using this drug?
You may feel some side effects after using this drug such as headache, runny nose, nasal congestion, ear congestion, sore throat and sneezing.
What types of precautions should be taken while using Bimatoprost?
- If you ever had hypersensitive reactions towards Bimatoprost, then avoid the use of this drug.
- Avoid driving after the instillation of this drug.
- If you are using other eye drops along with this drug then maintain a gap between them for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pregnant females should avoid the use of this drug.
- Breastfeeding mothers should also avoid the use of this drug.